Sunday, April 21, 2013

Movie Review: John Dies At The End (2012)

John Dies At The End

Written & Directed by Don Coscarelli
Based on the novel by David Wong

David Wong...Chase Williamson
John Diesattheend...Rob Mayes
Arnie...Paul Giamatti


When David Wong gets a panicked phone call from his buddy John in the middle of the night, he goes to investigate. He finds John tripping balls on some hallucinatory black goo, and accidentally gets a dose of that shit, too. Suddenly the unreal becomes quite real, space and time can be bent in unimaginable ways, and unspeakable creatures from beyond the veil are creeping into our world and looking to take over. Only David, John and a ragtag group of associates can possibly put a stop to it, because you don't choose the soy sauce...the soy sauce chooses you.


It's a fun and exciting movie, with a nearly endless supply of trippy visuals. The budget was small, but put to fantastic use.  There's always something mind-blowing to be found onscreen.  If you crossed a random episode of TV's Supernatural with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, then John Dies at the End very well could be the result.

I haven't read the book, but after seeing the movie, I definitely plan to. The plot here moved along at almost too-brisk of a pace, especially at the end, and it seemed a little rushed at times.  There were also a lot of loose ends and things left unexplained--though maybe that was by design, I can't say for sure.  Regardless, I'm hoping that the book manages to slow things down a bit and flesh things out. There's a lot more to this world than we were given the opportunity to see.


Despite the shortcomings, John Dies at the End was a blast to watch, and I have feeling that I'll be returning to it time and time again.  Well worth a purchase, hipsters. But if you view it under the influence of shrooms, I can not be held liable for the damage done to your mind.

But I sure as hell want to hear about it later.

Special thanks to Magnolia Home Entertainment for the screener!

2012
Rated R
99 Minutes
Color
English
United States

"I believe in demons and worms, and vile shit in the grease trap of the universe."
--J/Metro

4 comments:

  1. This is the second glowing endorsement I've read about this one. Looks like I'll have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Jonny. It's a nutty film, which does allow you to have fun with it for a bit, but I can't say that I loved the hell out of it like most stoners and their buddies mostly will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing about this movie but never had a chance to watch it. Maybe I can find it on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J2: Hope I don't steer you wrong. It's bonkers, and it is flawed, but it's a lot of fun.

    Dtmmr: I haven't touched an illegal substance in something like 15 years, and I still enjoyed it. To each his own.

    Jenny: You can get the disc from Netflix, but it's not yet available to stream. Keep your eye out, though. A lot of Magnolia's pics seem to hit Instant Watch fairly quickly after their release.

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!
    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete

What do you got to say about it!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails