Friday, March 22, 2013

Regarding the Bates Motel

I just caught the pilot episode of Bates Motel, and I was suitably impressed.  The show is playing the plotline slowly, while simultaneously showing us precisely what we're in for.  It seems that we're in for a bloody, soapy good time with this series, and I imagine that the shit will really start to hit the fan before the season is up--God willing it lasts that long.  My only qualm is a minor one: it seems odd to me that they brought the characters of Norma and Norman Bates into the modern age, as this is the prequel to a film that took place decades ago.  By modernizing the characters and the setting, it is, in essence, writing the source material out of canon, making it a prequel to nothing.

The only way I can see around this particular conundrum is probably blasphemous...but also a little intriguing.  Perhaps the final arc of the series could retell the entire storyline from the Psycho film.  It could be an exercise in futility (Gus Van Sant, I'm looking at you), but it could also be a genius move that opens the story up to a whole new generation.  I doubt it will happen, but you never know...

For those of you who missed it, or who don't have cable (like me), you can watch it absolutely FREE on Hulu.  You don't even need a Hulu+ account!  Hopefully they will continue to stream the new episodes, and this isn't one of those frustrating "pilot-only" deals.

It's only available until April 11th, so don't dilly-dally.  Mother says so.

Click HERE to watch.

--J/Metro

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you got to say about it!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails