Thursday, December 1, 2011

Confessions Of A Horror Addict

1991 was a watershed year for pop culture: Sonic the Hedgehog debuted as a worthy rival to the Mario Brothers; the Super Nintendo dropped; rival cable channels the Comedy Network and Ha! merged to create Comedy Central; and "Can't we all just get along" entered the American lexicon.

But most importantly of all, THIS happened:


That's right.  To coincide with the release of the new big-screen adaptation of The Addams Family, Hammer (formerly of the MC variety) released the video for his single, "The Addams Groove", which was featured both on the film's soundtrack and on Hammer's new album Too Legit To Quit.

Being an impressionable 12 year old, and a burgeoning horror freak, I fell in love with not only the music video but the song itself, and with lyrics like this, who can blame me?

I remember the day I needed to borrow
A little of pepper (for my chicken)
The next thing you know, comin' at me
Was a hand with the fingers high steppin' (I'm witcha)
Now I tried to play it along (you know)
And act like I was havin' a ball (ha ha)
But what do I see (yo) a perm with feet (cousin it)
Standin' about three feet tall (I'm outta here)

I'm not ashamed to say--well, I am ashamed, but I'll say it anyway--that I purchased Too Legit To Quit at the onset of some long road trip, the final destination of which is long lost to memory.  Sitting in the back seat with my Walkman (that's right, a Walkman!), I listened to that song over-and-over again, practically ignoring the rest of the album, until the point that I wore the tape straight through.

And then, when we got home, I pieced it back together with Scotch tape.

And I proceeded to wear it out again.

Don't judge me.  I'm an addict.  I know not what I do.
--J/Metro


Have your own CONFESSION that you'd like to share? Drop me a line: JonnyxMetro [at] hotmail [dot] com.

1 comment:

  1. I still have the maxi-single of this somewhere. On cassette.

    ReplyDelete

What do you got to say about it!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails