Sunday, December 5, 2010

Oblivion (1994)

Oblivion

Written by Peter David
Directed by Sam Irvin

Zack Stone...Richard Joseph Paul
Buteo...Jimmie F. Skaggs
Gaunt...Carel Struycken
Red Eye...Andrew Divoff
Mattie...Jackie Swanson

The fellows over at Full Moon must have been dropping acid and having a multi-genre movie marathon when they came up with this one: a science fiction take on the old "I'm lookin' for the guy who shot my Pa" premise.

Reptilian alien outlaw Red Eye (so-called because he has one red eye...or at least a red eye patch) challenges lawman Marshall Stone to a shootout in the streets of Oblivion. The scaly one walks away the victor, and without anyone to uphold the law, Red Eye and his devoted group of misfit gunslingers seek to take over the town.


When the Marshall's son Zack Stone learns of his father's death, he is forced to return to the town that he has been running from for so long. Aided by a ragtag group of companions himself--Native American (or whatever) Buteo, undertaker/portent of death Gaunt, and tasty barmaid Mattie--Zack slowly realizes that he has to get past his pacifist philosophy and reclaim Oblivion in honor of his fallen father.


I'm not much for westerns, and science fiction films (for the most part) aren't really my cup of tea either. So, if you do the math, I really shouldn't have cared for this film at all. I've always been terrible at math, though, even with the assistance of my handy-dandy calculator watch, and so I actually enjoyed this weird little romp quite a bit.


The characters were colorful to say the least, and they actually had depth and some degree of backstory, rather than remaining the cardboard cutouts that one might expect.  The character of Gaunt was badass, sort of like a genetic crossbreed of Coffin Joe and the Grim Reaper from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. The practical monster effects and animation that Full Moon is known for are on full display here as well, with a number of alien creatures and mutants that double as the typical western's scorpions, snakes, and rabid cattle (I'm guessing here. Like I said, I don't watch many westerns.) There were a number of fun "surprise" appearances here, too, including George Takei, Julie Newmar, and Sir Isaac Hayes. What perhaps impressed me the most was the musical score, though, which captured the blend of genres quite well.

I wonder if the soundtrack is still available...

The pacing was a bit choppy at times, as were the performances. You get what you pay for, I guess. But with Full Moon's bizarre concepts, kooky characters, and obvious balls-to-the-wall love for the fringe, you get way more bang for your buck than you do at other studios.

It's a wacky, tacky good time, gun-slingers!


Visit the FULL MOON DIRECT website, visit the OFFICIAL WEBPAGE, or rent it from NETFLIX.

1994
PG-13
94 Minutes
Color
English
United States

"This world dries up your soul."
--J/Metro

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, I expected non-stop lousy, but OBLIVION is actually a really good time! It is sad to see something so creative with such impressive sets from the 90s when the recent Full Moon Features have been in the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks like one of those guilty pleasure sorts of movies....
    I've been meaning to check it out for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome, I may have to throw in on this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete

What do you got to say about it!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails