Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Midnite Media Turns One!

It was exactly one year ago to the minute that I first started posting on this little blog of mine, so Happy Freakin' Birthday to Me!




 More than once I've contemplated giving it up, but I'm glad that I didn't because this blog has proven to be a lot of fun and I'm glad to belong to such a colorful community as this one, which I have come to call the Blogger Horror Society. I've "met" a lot of great people, watched a lot of great movies (and a lot of not-so-great movies, too), and have even managed to snag a freebie every now and then--which is only fair. I'm not gettin' paid for this, you know!

Well, I'm not much for tooting my own horn (at least not in public), but it's my blogiversary and I'll toot if I want to. Every guy does it, even if they refuse to admit it. So here goes.

One year and more than 370 posts. A whopping 187 of those have been movie reviews (all of which can still be accessed by clicking their titles on the right hand side of the screen). There were also a handful of book reviews thrown in there for good measure, and a whole lot of other fluff as well.

Seeking to do something that isn't found on every other horror blog out there, I contacted some members of the indie horror community and offered them the spotlight, so that they could shine it on their "Horror Hotlist"--their ten (or so) favorite genre films. There was Chris R. Notarile (director of Methodic), Ryan Graham (director of Livelihood), Sam Barrett (director of No Through Road), Nathan & Robert Olsen (creators of Haiku Comics), and Emil Hyde (director of The Landlord).  Many others were contacted--some promised lists that never came while others never responded back--so hopefully there will be more to come in the future.

Another series of posts that may have been overlooked, but that I'm proud of nonetheless, are my Cryptopopology posts (Cryptopopology: The Study of Pop Culture Ephemera That May or May Not Exist).  Here's the run down on them so far:

Aquaman: The Unaired TV Pilot
Batgirl: The Unaired Test Pilot
Dracula's Death (Drakula Halala) (Pre-dating both Nosferatu and Browning's Dracula)
Freddy Vs. Jason: Unused Scripts #1, 2, 3 and 4
The House on Value Street by Stephen King
It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman! (The Superman Musical)
Life Without Soul (The Frankenstein story 16 years before Whale's version)
Quantum Leap: A Bold Leap Forward (The Quantum Leap reunion)
Swamp Thing #88: Morning of the Magician (In which Swamp Thing meets...Jesus Christ!?)
Sword in the Darkness by Stephen King

I've also got a post on the "banned" Sesame Street episode, but it didn't really seem to fit here.

Well, I suppose that's enough shuffling through the Midnite Media Memory Book.  Before I'd leave, I'd just like to thank all of my readers (I finally broke the 50 followers mark!), everyone who leaves a comment on one of my posts (I appreciate them all, even if you disagree with me), and everyone who has given me an award.  If any of you are looking for more reading material, just check out the Jonny-Approved blogs on the blogroll further down the page.  With people like these writing about the genre, it doesn't even bother me that I can no longer afford a subscription to Rue Morgue.

You guys kick ass.  Here's to another year of Horror and Hipsterism, together again for the first time!

Consider me tooted.
--J/Metro


HorrorBlips: vote it up!

6 comments:

  1. Grats man on the anniversary. I know how hard it can be to keep something like this going. Looking forward to another year of reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Ive only been bloggin for a couple of months...but Ive enjoyed it, its very rewarding, and fun. I hope one day Ill reach fifty readers as you have. Keep on bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo woo, the big 1 already Jonny? Way to go man, keep it coming for another great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Just found your blog and really dig it. -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. meant to say earlier Jonny, congrats on the milestone! keep up the good work and here's to another year of the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the love, everybody. I'm gonna try my damnedest to make this next year even better than the last.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I have some cake to eat.

    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete

What do you got to say about it!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails